Thursday, June 7, 2012

Cover Girl Custom Action Figure Art - G.I. JOE Pursuit of Cobra

I've created sundry Cover Girl customs for clients all over the world. Because I NEVER make the same figure twice, they each have their own subtle charm. And while I'll never say that one is the definitive Cover Girl, this one comes pretty close.
Photobucket
She was commissioned by a client who requested that I paint her in vintage colors, add boot details from the vintage figure, and add a wisp of hair in front. Other than that, my conceit was to combine my Cover Girl formula with modern-style or Pursuit of Cobra-style elements. I also  wanted to make the jacket really streamlined and shorter so that it really looked like a women's-cut leather jacket.
Photobucket
I really worked this figure, dremeling the torso details smooth so the jacket would fit more snugly. Then I cut the jacket even smaller and carefully dremeld out the interior so that it would lay closer to the body. The vintage boot details and hair wisp are sculpted. As I sculpted the wisp, it turned into a longer bang that looks as if it just fell out of place.
Photobucket
She is completely custom pained. This time, I decided to make her skin a little paler to give her that former supermodel milky-white skin. The hair was painted in several layers starting with a brown, then going to a darker wash, then dry brushed reddish brown, and finally a light highlight of pure red. The final detail is my custom made decal "wolverine patch" on her left sleeve.
Photobucket
She took much longer than I anticipated. Thankfully, the client was very understanding and ultimately the time paid off in the finished look. The only drawback; the more modern-style legs are slightly longer than others I have used. This means she doesn't sit completely inside the vintage Wolverine vehicle. But you have to admit, she looks pretty good sitting on top of it.
Photobucket
I hope you dig her. If you do...or you don't, leave a comment below. Or you can type Cover Girl in the search box on the right to check out more of my Cover Girl customs. Until next time, I remain The Insidious One.

1 comment:

Like what you see? Share your thoughts!